Student Event Guidelines
Planning Student Events at Cornell Tech
The Student & Academic Affairs team, in collaboration with our Cornell Tech Events team, is excited to support our students and student organizations with planning safe and successful events on campus! Please review the campus guidelines and policies around student events, and take the below steps while planning to ensure your event is a success!
Please take the following steps in order to organize your event:
Step 1: Plan in advance!
Our campus needs advance notice in order to reserve spaces, and support your security, catering, facilities, and IT needs. Please review the below timeline for when to submit your event request.
- Small Events (30-40 attendees) – Submit request 10 business days prior to the event
- Medium events (40-100 attendees) – Submit request 20 business days prior to the event
- Large events (100+ attendees) – Submit request 30 business days prior to the event
* Please do not secure speakers or event attendees until you have received confirmation that a space has been reserved for your event.
Please note that the earlier you submit your form, the greater the chance that you will be able to reserve your preferred Event Space. Please be prepared with back up dates in the case that spaces are unavailable on the initially requested date.
Step 2: Determine if your event should be planned with Student & Academic Affairs or the Events Team
Please consider the details of your event.
If your answers to all of the below questions fall under the Student & Academic Affairs criteria, you will work with the Student & Academic Affairs team on your event.
If your answer to one or more of the below questions falls under the Events Team criteria, you will work with the Cornell Tech Events team on your event. Please note that events that meet the criteria to work with the Events Team may be subject to booking fees.
|Student & Academic Affairs||Events Team|
|Who is organizing?||Students, CTSG, Clubs||Faculty, Program Director, External Company|
|Number of guests?||Less than 100||More than 100|
|Number of rooms?||1||More than 1|
|Who is attending?||Cornell Tech Community, external panelists/speakers||Cornell Tech Community, external guests|
|Funding Source?||CTSG, or Approved Club Funding||External Sponsors|
If you are unsure of which team to work with, please email us at StudentAffairs@tech.cornell.edu
Step 3: Submit an Event Form
If your event falls under the Student & Academic Affairs team, please complete the S&AA Event Form. Event forms may be submitted by CTSG, PACT, or an approved student organization who has received approval for an event through CTSG or PACT. Event forms should be submitted for events taking place on the Cornell Tech campus only.
If your event falls under the Events team, please complete the following Event Team form and wait for further guidance from the Cornell Tech Events team. The rest of the guidelines on this page are intended for events that fall under Student & Academic Affairs only.
Step 4: Review Safety Guidelines
Safety Guidelines for Student Events:
- Once an event form has been submitted, the Student & Academic Affairs team will inform you if a staff chaperone is required. Additionally, your club may be required to hire security guards for the event. This is determined based on the size and possible risk level of the event.
- External guests must be registered in the security system and wear their guest badge on their outermost garment for the duration of their time on campus. Please review the Security section below for more information on registering external guests.
- Objects that burn, have an open flame, or emit aerosols are prohibited at on campus events (candles, incense, etc.)
- Canopies, decorations, posters, and signs that attach to the ceiling or walls are not allowed
- Do not add furniture, or freestanding objects into the event space without prior approval, as they may obscure floor space or block emergency fire egress.
- Homemade food is not allowed
Step 5: Submit Your Support Tickets
Planning a successful event requires the collaboration of the Student & Academic Affairs, Facilities, Security, IT, Events, and Catering teams. See below for who to contact for each step of your event organization.
Submitting Support Tickets
Catering: Food orders
Food orders for on campus events of 30 attendees or more must be placed through Constellation Culinary Group. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with your event details and catering needs a minimum of 2 weeks before your event date. Any event including alcohol should be submitted 3-4 weeks in advance so a temporary liquor license can be obtained.
Food orders for campus events or meetings with less than 30 attendees may be placed externally and submitted for reimbursement. Food such as pizza or bagged snacks such as chips or granola bars may also be ordered through external vendors. All external food orders must be picked up at the Bloomberg or Tata Security Desk upon delivery, as delivery personnel cannot be admitted past the turnstiles. No external alcohol purchases are permitted.
IT: Tech support, music
To request assistance with basic IT needs (zoom, connecting laptops to present, recording an event) during normal business hours (M-F, 9:00am-5:00pm), a ticket can be submitted to ITsupport@tech.cornell.edu. Events that require a dedicated tech onsite, or require assistance after hours, will need to hire a tech through ITsupport, or Events@tech.cornell.edu at a rate of $85 per hour with a 4-hour minimum, or more, depending on need.
Events Supplies: Table cloths, sign stands, & more
If you require event supplies such as sign holders, stanchions, tablecloths, easels, extension cords, or podiums, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Security: External guests, name badges, chaperones
All external guests need to be entered into the Cornell Tech Security System. If your event has 1-2 external guests you can register them personally at the Bloomberg Security Desk upon arrival. If your event has more than 1-2 external guests they must be registered prior to the event.
- Please contact email@example.com no less than 5 business days prior to your event to request the excel template that can be used to submit your guest information.
- If you have a large number of external attendees (25+), please also send the excel spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org with a request to have name badges pre-printed.
- For events with many external attendees, please designate members of your planning team to handle event registration and distribute name badges as guests arrive.
- Depending on the size and nature of the event, a faculty or staff chaperone may be needed and security guards may need to be hired.
Finance: Vendors, contracts, fees
Contact Finance@tech.cornell.edu for any items related to fundraising, collecting fees, vendors, etc.