Living on Roosevelt Island & NYC
Welcome to Roosevelt Island & NYC!
Roosevelt Island is surrounded by both Manhattan and Queens which allows the Cornell Tech Community the opportunity to explore & enjoy the beauty of New York City! Below we have provided some resources to support your transition to New York City. We hope you take advantage of everything NYC has to offer!
The House includes 350 units for students, staff, and faculty. The first high-rise residential building in the world built according to energy-efficient “Passive House” principles, it reaches 270 feet making it the tallest building — and an iconic marker — on the campus.
When you live at The House, classes and campus events are right next door. Campus living fosters connections with fellow students and faculty from within the collaborative living/learning environment.
Find an Off-Campus Apartment
Take a look at our list of apartment search links! With the right amount of digging, you might be able to find a steal in the NYC rental landscape!
(This is a suggested list, please note that Cornell Tech does not endorse any particular website or company)
- fb.com (Gypsy Housing)
- Home Swipe App (Available on Android Devices)
Find a NYC Broker or Guarantor
- Citihabitats offers Cornell Tech students and graduates a 5% discount on the broker fee!
Many people will need to have a guarantor co-sign their lease. The guarantor is legally and financially responsible for all the terms and guarantees on your lease. If you do not have someone in the U.S. to help you with this, take a look at the two links below.
Find a Short Term Housing Solution
Investigate these links if you need a place to stay while you’re ironing out rental details or are in need of housing for shorter periods of time.
Find Moving or Storage Solutions
Getting around this city is difficult enough! Don’t stress about adding a U-Haul to the equation. Check out these resources for storage and moving services.
- chelsea mini storage
As a Cornell Tech student, you have a variety of gym options to take advantage of. These fitness options are provided to you at a discounted rate. A list of fitness and gym options is available here.
Food & Delivery Resources
Food Delivery from Restaurants
- The following restaurants are located on Roosevelt Island
- The Cafe at Cornell Tech on our campus in Bloomberg. Available for pickup and delivery.
- Zhongzhong Noodles at 568 Main St, New York, NY 10044 can be ordered on doordash.com
- China 1 Kitchen at 609 Main St, New York, NY 10044, order at china1kitchennewyork.com
- Piccolo Trattoria at 455 Main St, New York, NY 10044, P: (212) 753-2300 order at seamless.com, grubhub.com,
- NISI at 549 Main St, New York, NY 10044, P: (212) 752-1517 order at nisikitchen.com, seamless.com, grubhub.com
- Fuji East Japanese Bistro at 455 Main St, New York, NY 10044, P: (212) 583-1688 order at fujieastjapanesebistro.com, seamless.com, grubhub.com, ubereats.com
Roosevelt Island Wine and Spirits at 605 Main St, New York, NY 10044, P:(212) 355-3111
- Additional information on Roosevelt Island Restaurants and Retail can be found here!
- Roosevelt Island Cleaners https://www.ricleaners.com/ located at 571 Main St. Store Phone: 212-758-1778. Laundry service costs $1.35 per lb. Please see additional price list in attached image. To arrange for laundry pick-up and delivery, please Text Mr. Moon at 917-714-2153.
Prescription and Medication Delivery
- Duane Reade Roosevelt, Island located at 425 Main St. P: (646) 521-2260 2 day delivery via FedEx.
- Goldberger’s Pharmacy, located at 1200 1st Ave, New York, NY 1006 P: (212) 734-6998 Next day delivery via UPS. Cost between $10-$15.
- City Chemist, located at 25-29 44th Dr, Long Island City, NY 11101 P: (718) 736-2200 Free 2 day Prescription delivery.
- Bingo Pharmacy, located at 1213 40th Ave, Long Island City, NY 11101 P: (718) 806-1775 Free 2 day prescription delivery.
Tipping Delivery People
Use the interactive map below to take a look at the nearby landmarks!