MS in Information Systems, Urban Tech
2023-2024 Academic Year
Jacobs Programmatic Core (17 credits)
- 8 credits of Studio Courses (Must be all taken for a letter grade.)
- TECH 5900 Product Studio — 4 Credits
- TECH 5910 Startup Studio, TECH 5920 BigCo Studio, or TECH 5930 PiTech Studio — 3 Credits
- TECH Studio Elective — 1 Credit
Please note: TECH 5300, TECH 5310, TECH 5320 do not qualify as Studio electives.
- 9 credits of Specialization
- TECH 5901 Preparing for Studio and Spec (FA YR1) — 1 Credit
- INFO 5920 Specialization Project* — 8 Credits
*Students are required to enroll in the Specialization Project over the course of 2 semesters (Spring YR1, Fall YR2). Students may take between 3-5 credits during each of the 2 semesters, for a total of 8 credits.
Jacobs Technical Core (10 credits)
- CS 5112 Algorithms and Data Structures for Applications or CS 5356 Startup Systems Design & Engineering — 3 Credits
- CS 5785 Applied Machine Learning or CS 5781 Machine Learning Engineering or INFO 5368 Practice & Applications of Machine Learning in Practice — 3 Credits
- INFO 6410 HCI & Design — 3 Credits
- Ethics — 1 Credit*
*Students should take an approved 1-(or more) credit course related to ethics in technology to satisfy the Jacobs Technical Core requirement. Alternatively, with Program Director approval, students can identify other courses they have completed where topics related to ethics in technology are heavily covered to waive the 1-credit requirement.
Concentration Core (9 credits)
- INFO 5410 Urban Systems — 3 Credits
- INFO 5420 Urban Design Strategies and Case Studies — 3 Credits
- INFO 5430 Urban Data or CS/INFO 5304 Data Science in the Wild — 3 Credits
Concentration Electives (12 credits)
- 12 credits of approved electives
Find out what classes are approved for the Concentration Electives requirement here.
General Electives (12 credits)
- Select from any additional course offerings on campus.
Please note: TECH 5310 Business Fundamentals (fall only) must be taken as a prerequisite for all business courses.
- Students may not enroll in more than 18 credits per semester without Program Director approval, which will be granted only in exceptional circumstances.
- All classes must be taken for a letter grade (with the exception of classes that are only offered S/U).
- For Studio courses, students must receive a B or higher in TECH 5900 orTECH 5910/ TECH 5920/ TECH 5930.
- Students must receive a C- or better in all graded courses. Any course that a student receives a grade of below C- will not count towards graduation requirements.
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Students must comply with the above requirements in order to be in good academic standing. Students who are not in good standing may be asked to leave the program.
Jacobs Technion-Cornell Institute Certificate of Accomplishment in Computer Science
Jacobs students can obtain a certificate of accomplishment from Cornell University and the Jacobs Technion-Cornell Institute in recognition of their completion of Computer Science-related course requirements. To be eligible, students must complete 18 credits of advanced and technical courses at Cornell Tech. At least 15 of those credits must come from computer science courses that are not practicums, seminars, independent studies, or projects. Only courses that are approved by Cornell and Jacobs may be applied toward the certificate, and only those courses taken for a letter grade and where a C- or better is awarded will count toward the certificate. Most technical courses are three credits each.
Students must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA to be eligible for the certificate.
The form must be completed in its entirety to be considered. The form must be submitted by the date of Cornell graduation for all subsequent classes.
Available on the Cornell University Registrar’s website.